Skip to main content

The Deck30

The Deck 30

What is it?
A way of generating events and encounters on the fly using a standard 52 card deck and a joker, inspired by blog posts made by Necropraxis and Prismatic Wasteland.

Here's a Deck30 for reference.

What is it for?
Helping the GM fill out the nooks and crannies of the world either on the fly or as part of prep. 

How does it work? 
Each in game day/week/month (whichever makes the most sense), draw 3 cards from the deck and sum any cards with matching suits (Aces are 1's, Faces are 10's), generating 1-3 events. Then reference the suits drawn and the total of each to figure out what happens. 

An Example Drawing
K♠️: A fresh corpse

J♥️: An encounter rolled with a D8 and another adventuring party involved (I rolled 2d6 Robber Flies hunting Killer Bees on my encounter table. Here is a link to Necrotic Gnomes adventuring party generator) 

3♣️: A Burial mound

So, there are a few ways this can shake out, but I think that this is all one encounter.

Killer bees have turned an ancient burial mound some distance off the path into a hive, it isn't visible, though humming may be heard (2in6 chance).

The mound was a burial place for ancient warriors, it is long forgotten and swallowed by the forest. The bees have used the corpses there as building materials, rendering their honey strange (acts as a potion of heroism, eating it imparts the memories of a battle, and an ancient warlord with a bearskin cloak and a burning sword)

An adventuring party found the hive, but were fought off by the bees which killed their magic user. Now they are on a nearby trail stripping the magic users swollen corpse of valuables, the fighter and thief are arguing over who gets to keep the spell book.

The robber flies are hunting the bees in the area and are on their way to the hive, they look just like bees from a distance so there is a chance of mistaken identity or, party members who know about nature might know about their connection to killer bees.

Now to be fair, I wasn't running a game when I drew this encounter, but the basic shape of it didn't take long for me to come up with, and I think I probably could have done something similar in game (though probably with a few less details).
 
In Conclusion
So that's the Deck30. It's an idea I came up with it a while ago that I'm excited about an thought it would be good to share it. I think the basic structure could be used for a variety of purposes (it is just a handful of tables after all), and I have been working on a version for use in town. Thanks for reading, and if you have any thoughts on the structure or the execution of the Deck30 I would love to hear them. 











   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllssssssssssssss

i am going through the old school primer for a  book club at the cauldron ,  it talks about using skills it has me thinking about skills. i thought he had a beard i think skills are, primarily, for the player, they are the handholds on a rockwall, something to give you grip when coming up with solutions. they are player tables, it can just be a list: heres one for  one d six too many and they become a wall, a little dab will do ya, different flavors of action and styles of motion this adds tactility, it becomes something the player did when they ask the gm if their climb skill helps them. its another way to interact with the world, which can do wonders for creativity. equipment is setting is advice i heard a long time ago and have gotten so much use out of i love building equipment tables, they do so much work as far as vibes. and very specific equipment is no different than a skill, you just gotta carry it. skills are players mind equipment, they are gummy and recyclabl...

press 1 to record your message

a fungus grows in my brain.  it is in love with me.  i do not know if i love it back.  it coos at my bones while i visit the dreaming, a wonderful, seductive place, and my creaking bones are alive and pulsing. defiant to the end of the world. of their world. of my world. there is life in moments, it ripples through a sea of time, of change, of permanent impermanence.  the odds were in my favor, and still i cannot win, through worlds but always endings, a smoke trail of cosmic cinders blinds me to the past. such vastness is not easily accessed, it must be traveled to over days and months and milliseconds. one more year, perhaps a few thousand more, i do not know, times tolerance is diminished. the sea rages, and this skeletal vessal creaks and moans. calcium is resiliant and beautiful and timeless oh godess thee, who carries pain, let me lighten thy load, for i am able, and i am willing, and let me feel while it can be done, and though joy is often out of reach, time ...

a new megadungeon

the megadungeon calls to me, far away, I hear its wretched wailings on the wind. i cannot refuse it, and now i prepare to once more plumb the dark corners of my mind to build it, brick by wretched brick, door by cursed door. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have been thinking about another megadungeon. More accurately, how to make one. I think I came up with a process that breaks the dungeon down and organizes it into color coded regions with thematically consistent pieces that are present throughout the whole dungeon.  The First Block is Color 10 of them total, these are our region baskets, they hold the themes and details. I once heard that a megadungeon isn't mega without 120 rooms per floor, I disagree, but that's my target number.  10 regions of 12 rooms will net 120 rooms per floor. This is a big undertaking, but is broken down into  10 complete 12 room dungeons to draw and stock, which I'll do little at a t...